Google currently returns 2.6 million pages for the search term "Jason BARNARD". Mine is a fairly common name, and the first 5 are not about me. Top ranked is LinkedIn where there are some 21 Jason Barnards (so that makes 26 ahead of me !). At the time of writing, I am number 6 on Google - UpToTen.com's outdated "team" page....
The page you are reading should change that :)
My photo comes up in 22nd place, sandwiched between a Jason Barnard currently in a US jail and Jason Barnard 70's teen pop idol. There is also a fisherman, a musician, a basketball coach, an arms specialist, a speedway driver... the list goes on.
Still, if someone "Googles" me, they'll find me easily... and will soon have an idea of who I am and what I have been doing these last 12 years.
Most info about individuals who are not in the media spotlight is submitted by themselves about themselves. It is 'vetted' and biased. This page is one of those. Completely controlled by the individual concerned.
Jason Barnard is a mid-way name. Common names like "David Smith" return 436 Million results and over 10,000 LinkedIn accounts. Uncommon names such as "Jack Aldwinckle" return just a few thousand results in Google... and none atall in LinkedIn. David Smith is relatively 'safe', reputation-wise. Jack Aldwinckle isn't.
So,what happens when the media releases an unfavorable online story about an individual? Next time a potential partner checks the reputation by "Googling" the name, they come up with bad press. Not pretty. Unfortunately, that information will never go away.
This article from 1999 still comes up towards the top for the search term "Boowa and Kwala" http://www.surfnetkids.com/go/reader/5630/boowa-and-kwala/ and unless Barbera J Feldman chooses to take that page down, it will always be there, and always refer to Flash 4!
Online reputation Management is all about keeping that unwanted press away form the all-important first page of results. It consists of building the brand using both positive articles posted to strategic places, but even more importantly, using advanced SEO techniques to get the 'desirable' press to the top of the pile.
Jason Barnard is a new breed of specialist in the field of Reputation Management (also known as Reputation Protection)... ranking the best about people at the top of Google, Bing and Yahoo... and also Google.br, Google.co.uk, Google.fr, Google.es... and in any language !
Some search results (competing pages) :
- Google #8 - SEO America (162 million)
- Google.com #1 - SEO Services Brazil (6 million)
- Google.com.br #1 - SEO Services Brazil (6 million)
- Google.com Top Ten - SEO Services ... (dozens of countries)... (millions)
- Google.co.uk Top Ten - Shipping to ... (dozens of countries) ... (millions)
- Google.com Top Ten - Shipping to ... (dozens of countries) ... from UK (millions)
- Google UK #4 - Cargo prices Mauritius UK (10 million)
- Google #5 - Export Shipping Turkey (21 million)
- Google #1 - SEO America (20 million)
- Google #2 - SEO United Kingdom (6 million)
- Google #2 - SEO (99 million)
- Google #2 - Search Engine Optimization (63 million)